Become a follower!!

Hey ya'll,
If you like what you see, become a follower! Click on the white "follow" button and enter your email address. As a follower, you'll be notified when I add a new recipe. Send me a message with your address, and I'll send you some of my favorite recipes that I've never posted!
If your email provider isn't there, it may use another provider, for example, AOL uses google and AT&T uses yahoo.
I hope you enjoy the blog and let's get cookin!
Kristin


Sunday, September 6, 2009

Onion and Tomato soup



This is probably my favorite soup!!  It's warm and comforting and full of flavor. When I cook, I always go by my instinct... I very rarely measure things, so if you want more or less of something... then change it up.  It is both hearty and light, as well as, salty and sweet!!
  • 3-4 Italian sauages, removed from casings
  • app. 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
  • 1 tbl of butter
  • 3 big vidalia onions, sliced thinly
  • about 5-6 cloves of garlic diced
  • app. 2 teaspoons of sugar
  • about 1.25 quarts of chicken stock
  • about one big can of diced tomatoes, or 2 (14.5 oz) cans don't drain them! 
  • splash of red wine (optional)
  •  fresh basil... but add this to meet your tastes... I always add a lot!!
  • (optional-- a can of cannellini beans or some orzo pasta)
  • salt/pepper
  •  parmesan cheese, to serve.
1. Remove the sausage from the casings and cook in a pan.   
2. While the sausage is cooking, in a large pot, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil and butter.  Add the sugar.  (Add the splash of wine if you decided to use it.)  Cook until soft and browning, about 15-20 minutes.  Stir frequently.  Don't let the garlic burn or it will taste bitter.
3. When the onions are soft, add the chicken stock, tomatoes with the juice, and sausage to the pot.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil, and give it a stir. 
4. Simmer for about a half hour...  If neccessary, add more stock... the thickness is up to you.
5. Before serving, add chopped basil and garnish with parmesan!!

ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sean doesn't like the name of this soup... he thinks I should name it "la familia soup." He's so funny!!

    ReplyDelete