Become a follower!!

Hey ya'll,
If you like what you see, become a follower! Click on the white "follow" button and enter your email address. As a follower, you'll be notified when I add a new recipe. Send me a message with your address, and I'll send you some of my favorite recipes that I've never posted!
If your email provider isn't there, it may use another provider, for example, AOL uses google and AT&T uses yahoo.
I hope you enjoy the blog and let's get cookin!
Kristin


Friday, January 1, 2010

German Chocolate Cake... From scratch!

Today I made a very traditional New Year's Day fare, collard greens, black eyed peas, corn souffle, chicken in a honey balsamic glaze, and Sean slow smoked a pork butt and sausage!  Yummm...  To top off the meal, I decided to undertake making a German chocolate cake from scratch because I wanted to see if it would taste any different from my usual boxed cake mixes.  Let me tell you, baking is a lot of work, I have a new respect for bakers and pastry chefs!  Explain this to me, why when you make a cake from scratch do you have to separate the yolks from the whites, but when you do a box mix, you can just throw the whole egg into the mixure.   After separating my eggs, melting a chocolate bar into water on the stove, alternate adding the buttermilk to the flour, whipping my egg whites into fluf, blah, blah, blah.... The cake was AMAZING!!!!  IT WAS REALLY BETTER AND WORTH THE WORK.  I can't take credit for the recipe, but if you are interested, it was a Better Homes and Gardens recipe. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!  Keep sending me your recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment